About: The state will deposit $2500.00 in a Bright Start account for each child of a fallen Service member who serves in Operation Iraqi Freedom or Enduring Freedom upon the request of a surviving Family member. All Illinois servicemen and women are eligible.
- The money will be invested in an age-based portfolio, which adjusts automatically as the beneficiary ages. The closer the child is to college age, the more conservative the investments become.
- Payments will be made by the Treasurer's office directly to an accredited college or university anywhere in the U.S. or selected institutions abroad.
- The scholarship will be applied only to tuition, fees and room and board and must be spent before the child reaches 30 years old.
- Individuals other than the State of Illinois can make tax-free contributions to the scholarship account but the State of Illinois retains control of account disbursements.
- The scholarship can be used in conjunction with other federal benefits that children of fallen Service members are eligible to receive.
Eligibility: The beneficiary must be a U.S. citizen under the age of 30 years old. Fallen Heroes home of record on file with the U.S. Department of Defense must be in Illinois. A photocopy of a birth certificate, adoption, certificate or marriage license (in case of a stepchild) must be provided.