Veterans Tuition Awards

Jul 17, 2013

About: For full-time and part-time study, a recipient shall receive an award of up to the full cost of undergraduate tuition for New York state residents at the State University of New York, or actual tuition charged, whichever is less. Full-time study is defined as twelve or more credits per semester (or the equivalent) at a degree-granting institution, or twenty-four or more hours per week in a vocational training program. For part-time study, awards will be prorated by credit hour. Part-time study is defined as at least three but fewer than twelve credits per semester (or the equivalent) at a degree-granting institution, or six to twenty-three hours per week in a vocational training program.
For the 2011 - 2012 academic years, the maximum annual full-time award is set at $5,295 or tuition, whichever is less. For part-time study the initial award figure is estimated at the cost of full-time attendance. Upon certification of the student's part-time status the award is recalculated according to the number of credits certified and the student's actual part-time tuition liability. If a Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) award is also received for full time study only, the combined academic year awards cannot exceed tuition. Thus, the TAP award may be reduced accordingly.
Eligibility: Eligible students are those who are New York State residents discharged under honorable conditions from the U.S. Armed forces and who are:
  • Vietnam Veterans who served in Indochina between February 28, 1961 and May 7, 1975.
  • Persian Gulf Veterans who served in the Persian Gulf on or after August 2, 1990.
  • Afghanistan Veterans who served in Afghanistan during hostilities on or after September 11, 2001.
  • Veterans of the armed forces of the United States who served in hostilities that occurred after February 28, 1961 as evidenced by receipt of an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Navy Expeditionary Medal or a Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal.
Veteran must also:
  • Establish eligibility by applying to HESC.
  • Be New York State residents.
  • Be US Citizens or eligible noncitizens.
  • Be matriculated full or part- time at an undergraduate or graduate degree-granting institution in New York State or in an approved vocational training program in New York State.
  • Have applied for the Tuition Assistance Program for full-time undergraduate or graduate study.
Learn More:
View more: New York Military Education Benefits or select another location to learn more about what is available.

Printed from: