The Department of Defense (DoD) has directed a uniform TA fiscal policy across the military services. Per semester hour cap is $250 and the fiscal year ceiling is $4,500. The Army will pay 100 percent of the tuition and authorized fees charged by a school up to the established per semester hour cap and fiscal year ceiling.
Who is Eligible for Army Tuition Assistance:
Personnel eligible for Tuition Assistance (must meet requirements as outlined in the SOU
and AR 621-5
- All active duty Soldiers
- All Soldiers in AGR status (pursuant to titles 10 and 32)
- USAR and ARNG/ARNGUS personnel eligible for RC TA are Soldiers serving in an active status who are coded as a satisfactory participant.
Soldiers flagged under provisions of AR 600-8-2 are not eligible for TA. Click here
to read the Memorandum dated 13 June, 2013 and covering the following:
"Effective immediately any Soldier, regardless of Army component (Active or Reserve) on an Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) and/or Army Weight Control Program (AWCP) Flag will be ineligible for FTA."
What does the Tuition Assistance cover:
Current Army policy limits TA to 130 semester hours of undergraduate credit or baccalaureate degree, whichever comes first and 39 semester hours of graduate credit or masters degree whichever comes first. The 39 semester hour limit applies to all credits taken after completion of a baccalaureate degree. Authorized fees covered by TA are mandatory fees that are associated with an individual course enrollment. Non-refundable fees and fees that are not linked to individual course enrollments (e.g., application fees, graduation fees) are not covered by TA.
Where do you apply for Army Tuition Assistance:
Soldiers must request TA through www.GoArmyEd.com
prior to the course start date or before the school’s late registration period.
How to Apply for Army Tuition Assistance:
- Soldiers must request TA through www.GoArmyEd.com prior to the course start date or before the school’s late registration period.
- TA is requested on a course-by-course basis.
- GoArmyEd will notify the Soldier whether the TA is approved or not. If the TA request is not approved, GoArmyEd will advise the Soldier of the reason and next steps.
- All drops/withdrawals must take place through GoArmyEd. Soldiers who do not successfully complete a class will be required to repay the TA. Soldiers who are unable to successfully complete a class due to military reasons must request a Withdrawal for Military Reasons through GoArmyEd and complete all required steps to ensure that they will not be charged.
- If the Soldier wishes to take a class with a school that does not participate in the electronic GoArmyEd class schedule, a TA Request Authorization form must be completed in GoArmyEd. The TA Request Authorization will be routed to an Army Education Counselor to be reviewed and approved. Soldiers should allow extra time for this. If the TA Request Authorization is approved, the Soldier will be notified by email. Soldiers must print the approved TA Request Authorization form in GoArmyEd, provide it to the school and enroll directly with the school.
- Soldiers must submit a signed TA Statement of Understanding (TA SOU) each year. Soldiers in the rank of E7 or above do not need their commander's signature. However, by signing this document they agree to the terms of this TA SOU. Soldiers in the rank of E6 or below must have their commander's signature. GoArmyEd will send a notice to students 90 days before the due date.